Sunday, July 22, 2007
2 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal/polenta
1 tsp Celtic Sea Salt
4 cups boiling water
4 cups warm raw grass-fed milk
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 lb ground sweet/spicy sausage
1 (26oz) jar or homemade spaghetti sauce
1 1/2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
1. In a large saucepan, combine polenta & salt. Gradually add in boiling water, whisking constantly. Then add warm milk slowly while whisking. Continue to cook and stir over medium heat for another 5-8 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil and expands. Remove from the heat. Whisk in grated parmesan cheese thoroughly.
2. Spread polenta equally between TWO - 13x9 greased baking dishes (I used coconut oil). Bake uncovered in a 350 degree F oven for 20-25 min or until "set". Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and add sauce. Cook until heated through.
3. Spread sausage/sauce mixture over ONE of the polenta baking dishes. Top with shredded mozzarella. Bake BOTH dished another 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Friday, July 20, 2007
The Cooking Traditional Foods weekly Menu Mailer evening. Come take a look! http://www.cookingtf.com/mailer.html
If you are new to traditional foods, are learning how to cook, need a
consolidated plan to save time, need help with menu planning, have trouble
remembering to do the advanced preparation required to cook traditional
foods, or just want to try something new, we're here to help.
Cooking Traditional Foods is a website dedicated to helping you feed your
family in the healthiest way possible. From mailing you a weekly menu, food
prep schedule, shopping lists and recipes, to providing you with free
recipes, to ideas on feeding children a nutrient-dense diet, Cooking TF
tries to provide you with ideas and inspiration to help you keep your family
Sunday, July 1, 2007
A Modern Day Plague Antidote
What would happen if you and your family were exposed to a killer virus, like the recently discovered flu virus that can kill in a few hours — that no vaccine can stop?
American Indians were faced with the same terrible dilemma immediately following the first European invasions over five hundred years ago. Spiritual elders and herbal doctors were not equipped to treat the unknown diseases and millions died as a result.
The author of the formula below is Dr. Richard Schultz, a student of the late great herbalist, Dr. Christopher. Dr. Schultz ran a clinic for 20 years saving patients that had been sent home to die.
This tonic is extremely powerful, because all the ingredients are fresh. Its power should not be underestimated. This formula is a modern day plague tonic and when added to an incurable routine I have seen it cure the most chronic conditions and stubborn diseases. It stimulates maximum blood circulation, while putting the best detoxifying herbs into the blood. This formula is not just for the sniffles, it has helped to turn around the deadliest diseases. And believe me, you don't want to be without formulas like this when you or your loved ones get ill; it will save your life. Make up plenty, it can't go bad because vinegar already is, and will last almost forever.
It is advised that you make the following tincture formula and keep it on hand at all times. When problems do occur, there may not be time enough to make it.
1 part fresh chopped garlic cloves (anti-bacterial,anti-fungal, anti-viral, anti-parasitical)
1 part fresh chopped white onions, or the hottestonions available (similar properties to garlic)
1 part fresh grated ginger root (increases circulationto the extremities)
1 part fresh grated horseradish root (increases bloodflow to the head)
1 part fresh chopped Cayenne peppers, Jalapenos,Serranos, Habeneros, African bird peppers….any combination of the hottest peppers available
* Fill a glass jar 3/4 of the way full with equal parts of the above fresh chopped and grated herbs. Then fill to the top with raw unfiltered, unbleached, non-distilled apple cider vinegar.
* Close and shake vigorously and then top off the vinegar if necessary. Begin this formula on the NEW moon and strain and bottle on the FULL moon, (approximately 14 days). Filter the mixture through a clean piece of cotton, bottle and label.
* Make sure that when you are making this tonic that you shake it every time you walk by it, a minimum of once per day. Remember that all the herbs and vegetables should be fresh (and organic if possible), and to use dried herbs only in an emergency.
Strain liquids from solids through muslin cloth or strainer into a 8oz. Glass. Note: the solid ingredients retain almost the same potency as the liquid ingredients; therefore, these solids can be puréed to use with other ingredients like honey and lemon to make a salad dressing or to marinate meats of all sorts. For example mixing to taste with Peanut oil makes a great sauce to roast chicken. This formula will not spoil unless mixed with new ingredients.
Dosage: 1/2 to 1 ounce, two or more times daily (1- 2 Tbs.). Gargle and swallow. (Don't dilute with water.)
For ordinary infections, 1 dropper full taken 5-6 times a day will deal with most conditions. It can be used during pregnancies, is safe for children (use smaller doses and as a food is completely non-toxic. Make up plenty as it does not need refrigeration and lasts indefinitely without any special storage conditions.
Note: Store your tincture in a dark place as light will deteriorate it. You can put the jar in a paper bag for the brewing and shaking process. Tinctures last indefinitely, while herbs can lose potency within a year. Also, tinctures enter your system in seconds, as compared with dry herbs in capsules which have to be digested first.
-Garlic cloves (anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, anti-parasitical)
-White Onion, or hottest onions available (similar properties to garlic)
-Ginger Root (increases circulation to the extremities)
-Horseradish Root (increases blood flow to the head)
-Cayenne Peppers, or the hottest peppers available, i.e. habanero, African Bird, -or Scotch Bonnets, etc. (a great blood stimulant).
Pro-biotic: antiviral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-parasitical.
YUMMY Sausage Balls
1# package ground sausage (raw)
2 cups baking mix (I used Pamela's GF baking mix)
4 cups grated Raw Sharp Cheddar
1 large egg
1/8 tablespoon pepper
Dip: 1 cup mayonnaise 1/4 cup ketchup
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Combine all ingredients in a large glass bowl. Mix well with your fingers. The mixture will be crumbly. Form into 1 inch balls, squeezing the mixture so it holds together, then rolling it between the palms of your hands to form balls. Place the balls on the baking sheet.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. To prevent sticking, move the balls with a spatula halfway through cooking.
To make the dip, combine the mayonnaise and ketchup. Serve with sausage balls.