I have had scones before...usually triangle shaped hockey puck. Nasty door stops. Nothing to write home to mom about......THEN.....THEN.....THEN.....I had THESE!!
OH MY....fluffy, tender, moist.....so yummy that they were all gone 10 min out of the oven...the kids, the husbands.....they coming running. :)
(these are not soaked...but I think can be easily converted...I will try that next)
Orange Cranberry Scones
1 C sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
4 C soft white wheat flour (sub unbleached white)
1 C sucanat (sugar)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp salt
1 C butter
1 C dried cranberries (craisins)
1 Tbs orange zest
1. In a small bowl, blend sour cream and baking soda....Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
4. In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
5. Cut in cold butter.
6. Stir in sour cream mixture and egg into flour mixture until just moistened. DO NOT over mix. (but it does take some effort/time to incorporate)
7. Mix in cranberries and zest.
8. Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead briefly. Roll out into a 3/4 inch thick round.
9. Cut into 12 wedges (or smaller) and place them 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
10. Bake 12-15 min in preheated oven, until edges & bottom are golden brown.