Monday, October 19, 2009
Caramel Apple Breakfast Casserole
This recipe originated from the $5 Dinner Mom Erin. I made a few little changes to make it more TF.
Here is my version.
6 large eggs, local & free roaming
1 cup milk, raw & soured
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger...even better a little minced fresh
5 medium or 4 large apples, peeled and diced
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar (I used Muscovado)
1 tsp cinnamon ($.05)
6 slices of bread, sourdough & a little stale
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
2. Peel, cut and dice the apples. (I used my PC corer/slicer...then put the cores & peels on the stove with a little spices to simmer and make the house smell so YUMMY)
3. In a smaller mixing bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Toss with diced apples.
4. In a greased 9x9-inch glass baking dish, tear 3 slices of bread and add to the bottom. Then add a layer of the diced caramel apples.
5. Tear the other 3 slices of bread and place on top of the apples.
6. Pour egg/milk mixture into the baking dish and press down a little. Cover with foil and let stand in the refrigerator for at least an hour (overnight, ideally!).
7. Preheat oven to 350.
8. Bake covered for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake another 15-20 minutes, or until eggs have cooked through.
9. Serve Caramel Apple Breakfast Casserole with a little maple syrup and butter.
I can see this with some thick vanilla whipped cream or even ice cream.
Reviews from the Family this morning :)
Renee: Really good...but I need to double next time cause I am still hungry and it is all gone.
Forrest: Good but wanted more sweets...like powdered sugar on top. He is my SWEETIE!
Brittany: Liked it and even had seconds
Madalynn: Hot & Yummy but wanted more apples
David: Good, gone and now I want a cold chicken leg from last night.
Ellie: Yuuuummmmmmm(toddler mouthful talk)
& Abbie: Drooled from Daddy's lap