Great way to use up leftover roasted chicken and leftover rice.
Chicken, Bean & Summer Veggie Casserole
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (soaked, cooked in broth)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 medium yellow squash, thinly slice
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt to taste
- ground cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers, drained
- 2/3 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups shredded cheese (we used monterey jack but you could use whatever your fav is...Swiss would be yummy too)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large casserole dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the onion until tender. Mix in the zucchini, squash, chicken, and mushrooms. Season with cumin, salt, and ground cayenne pepper. Cook and stir until zucchini and squash is lightly browned and chicken is heated through.
- In large bowl, mix the cooked rice, onion, zucchini, chicken, mushrooms, beans, chiles, carrots, and 1/2 the cheese. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover casserole loosely with foil, and bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Uncover, and continue baking 10 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly brown
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.