Friday, June 15, 2007

Blender Batter Pancakes (whole grain)

This is my own adaptation of Sue Gregg's recipe.

I love these! We make a triple batch every Sunday. I add
bananas, blueberries & chocolate chips (not all at the same time) and
then freeze the extras.

We usually use a combo of spelt & raw oat groats! Now that we are going GF, I am going to need to come up with a new combo. I am thinking Quinoa, Almond & Coconut flour.

Many times I used sprouted spelt so don't have to soak.

Apple juice and even water can be substituted for milk for those with any dairy issues (and soak in w/only whey or lemon juice). When using sprouted grains I have found it best to increase the whole grains to 2 cups. My families favorite combo is just spelt & oats (equal portions of each)

I have also made them into little silver dollar pancakes and then
dehydrated them lightly to make pancake crackers. I was thinking about
adding some coconut meat (since I have so much) and then make crackers out of them.

Blender Batter Pancakes
4-6 servings (I normally triple/quadruple this recipe)

1 1/2 cups buttermilk (or other soaking medium - kefir, sour milk, whey, lemon juice)
1 1/2 cups whole grains
2 tbs Virgin Coconut Oil
2 tbs Raw Honey (can sub raw Agave too)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Combine buttermilk, oil, honey and whole grains in a blender and blend
on high for 5 minutes. Add liquid if necessary to keep a vortex
constantly going in the blender. Make sure to do the FULL 5 minutes.

Soak overnight or up to 24 hours. Add remaining ingredients and blend briefly. Cook pancakes on a lightly greased griddle on lowest heat until bubbles in the middle of the pancake begin to break. Flip once.

This can also be cooked in the waffle maker. I served it with raw butter and maple syrup.

Sue Gregg suggests a combination of any of the following grains- brown rice, millet, kamut, spelt, wheat, seven grain mix, buckwheat (use only 1 cup for 4 servings as it expands), hulled barley, corn, quinoa or oats.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of this recipe from Sue Gregg. I've tried various combinations of grains, but always end up coming back to oats and barley. I use 1/2c oats and 2/3c barley (the barley expands). Straight barley is good as well, but is less filling.